I feel Bad About My Neck & I Remember Nothing by Nora Ephron Reviews

I read these at separate times, however they read as a direct continuation of one another because they’re essay collections with similar themes of being a woman and just recalling some of Ephron’s career and life. I found the essays charming, easy to read, and fast-paced. She’s witty, relatable, and ultimately I really respect her and her work, such as writing the movies Sleepless in Seattle, and You’ve Got Mail which I’ve watched with my family. I’m not a huge fan of romcoms, but I admire strong career-driven women and I feel that Ephron embodies that girl boss energy. But what do I know?

I has no intention of picking up I Feel Bad About My Neck, because I read I Remember Nothing late last year and wasn't particularly affected or impacted, despite finding it mildly entertaining while reading. I didn’t DNF, which I would’ve done if I didn’t care for it at all. But I was doing some editing for my school’s literary magazine, and the contributor I worked with wrote about when she went to a book sale and mentioned how Ephron is always at thrift stores or secondhand book sales. I laughed and told her I noticed that too. So when I saw this at my library’s bookstore, I shrugged and thought, why not, and picked it up. It serves as a short entertaining piece, kind of like a TV show for me. It isn’t one of my favorites, and isn’t the most thought-provoking thing I’ve ever read, but it passes the time, and any time I save myself from doom scrolling is a plus in my opinion. 

I'm not exactly sure why these seem to be such staples at thrift stores and the like, but perhaps it is a generational thing. 

Comments